How to Deal with Enemies

Enemies, haters, or whatever you want to call them: we all have them!  However, the question I raise today is: how do we deal with them?  Our natural instinct is to fight back.  We want to lash out and make our enemies suffer for any hurt or pain they've caused us.  We want revenge!  We want to tell our side of the story.  Or, we want to hurt them as much as they've hurt us.  I hear it in conversations and I see it in Facebook posts.  However, the best evidence is the conversations that takes place in my head.  My mind is flooded with things I want to say or do in retaliation.  Fortunately, I soon remember that I represent Jesus.  I remember...I can't say that.  I can't do that.  Bummer!

My mind is then flooded (probably by the Holy Spirit) with scriptures on loving your enenmies.  Jesus tells us, "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..." Matt. 5:44.  Huh, Jesus?  Love them?  Pray for them?  They hate me!  They are tearing me down! And patiently he responds by whispering in my ear, "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." John 15:18.  I know this should be comforting, but I admit, it still hurts.  But still, my Comforter reminds me, "Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."  Matt. 5:10

Ok.  I know,  but, I cry back: "It's hard."  Sigh...  But, I must stand.  Why?  Why must I stand?  I must stand because my expereinces will never compare to what Jesus has experienced.  He was mocked, spit on, betrayed, lied on, and crucified; and He was perfect!  So, I trust the word of God when he declares, "Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay...'" Rom. 12:19.  My Lord also reminds me, "There is no peace...for the wicked."  Isa. 48:22.  And then shouts to me (in a still small voice, of course), "[I] will fight for you; you need only be still." Exodus 14:14  (emphasis mine)  God promises, "For they [the wicked] will soon fade like grass and wither like the green herb." Psa. 37:2

Therefore, I have concluded, I will put my trust in God.  I will trust him to fight my battles!  He is strong and mighty in battle.  He is my refuge.  He is my fortress.  He is my strong tower.  He is the Lord of Hosts.  He is the Lord God our Banner!  He is my El Roi, the God who sees!  He is Jehovah Ezer, the Lord God my helper!  He is Jehovah Roi, my sheperd who protects me!
So, my friends, be of good courage!  Take a seat and rest in the power of the Lord.  He is faithful to take care of us!  And, stand on this promise: "Who ever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1

Satan, get behind me! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Move Forward?

Donate for Mental Health