What Do I Believe?


I recently read a quote by Oswald Chambers that read, “Re-state to yourself what you believe, then do away with as much of it as possible, and get back to the bedrock of the Cross of Christ.”  When I read this quote, it challenged me to rediscover the basics of Christianity.  For the last few years, I’ve been inundated with books, articles, conversations, and debates about what it means to be a true Christian.  I’ve been torn between the liberals and conservatives, the Baptists and Pentecostals, the Democrats and Republicans.  When you are constantly trying to keep up with latest shift in Christian culture, Jesus can get lost in the shuffle. 

So, I decided to go back to what I learned in my old country church growing up in Blair, SC.  I know that Jesus loves me.   I know that He died on the cross for my sins.  I know I’m a sinner saved by grace.  I know Jesus was raised from the dead.  I know that He’s coming back again.  I know that He commands me to love God with all of my heart, soul and mind.  He desires that I love my neighbor as myself.  It is settled, those are my basics.

How does it look?  Well, I will love my brothers and sisters of all denominations.  I love Republicans and Democrats.  I believe you can love Jesus and be liberal or conservative.  I believe we should focus on our personal relationship with the Lord and show our love to others.  I believe I should show my love to the wealthiest and to the “least of these”.  I believe that we are all broken people in some way and we all need the Master Physician.  So, I challenge each of you to throw away the rhetoric and re-discover who Christ is to you!!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Move Forward?

Donate for Mental Health