Why is this Happening to Me?

In the African-American church, we often hear the phrase, “Your current test is just a set up for your testimony.”  When this is said, the church erupts in a shout.  However, when you leave church and you’re in the midst of your circumstance, you find yourself asking “why”?  You want to know why God is allowing you to go through this difficult situation.  We often know the scriptures and cite them, but our hearts still ache.  We secretly worry.  We say “we live by faith and not by sight.”  Yet, we don’t see a breakthrough anywhere in sight.  We say “all things will work together for my good.”  Yet, we can’t imagine this working for our good.  We say that we’ve “given it over to the Lord”, but we continue to fret over the situation and discuss it with whomever will listen.  We say that joy comes in the morning…yet, we cry all night and still feel sad in the morning. 
Well, my Bishop always says, “everything is either God sent or God allowed.”  This phrase has helped me to realize that if God is in control, I’m going to come through this storm and a lot better!  I have also come to realize that God will allow us to go through difficult circumstances so that He may be glorified.
I am reminded of the story from John 9:1-38.  This is the amazing story of Jesus healing the blind man.  When the disciples first saw him, they asked Jesus, who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind?”  When I read this story, I saw myself and others in the place of the disciples.  Many times in life, we believe that we are going through a challenging time because God is angry at us.  We believe that we’ve sinned or did something wrong.  Many times we blame our parents or past for our current problems.  We feel that if our childhood had been different we wouldn’t have the current struggles we face.
However, when we read further in the story, we hear Jesus tell them that no one sinned.  He explains to them that this was allowed to happen so that the works of God might be displayed in the blind man’s life.  Can our past cause problems in our life…yes!  Can God discipline us for choices we have made…yes!!  However, we must also remember that sometimes God allows difficulty to come into our lives…for our good!!  He loves us!!  He wants what’s best for us!
When we go through difficult times, it produces fruit.  It draws us into a deeper relationship with the Lord.  It makes us stronger and wiser.  It builds character.  It shapes and molds us into the likeness of Christ.  It leads some to salvation.  And, ultimately God gets the glory!! 
If you are going through a difficult time, please know that God loves you with an everlasting love.  Even if you can’t feel Him there, he is present.  He will not give you more than you can bear!!  It may not feel that way, but it is true!  You are stronger than you think!  You will make it through!  I am a living witness that sometimes the pain seems unbearable, but I am always better on the other side.  I wouldn’t know Him to be a healer, if I was never hurt.  I wouldn’t know Him as a provider, if I never experienced lack.  I would know Him as protector, if I was never attacked.  I would never know Him as a deliverer, if I was never in bondage.  I wouldn’t know Him as a friend, if I was never alone.  And, more importantly, I wouldn’t need a Savior, if I wasn’t a sinner.  In the words of Jesus, “…Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick…for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”  Matt. 9:12-13
God loves you and you will get through this hard time!  If you find yourself asking, “Why is this happening to me?”  Please remember that it is either God sent or God allowed and God will get the glory from this circumstance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Move Forward?

Donate for Mental Health